This Friday and Saturday, Lockport wrestled in the 42nd annual Fox “Ron Sauer” Duals, held at Fox Senior High School in Arnold, Missouri. Lockport came in looking for a championship, after 6-1 records each of the past two seasons, winning 5th place last year and 2nd place in 2013.
Unfortunately, history repeated itself, and Lockport fell to one of Missouri’s top ranked teams and last year’s runner-up, Holt, by a 38-34 in the final dual of the tournament, giving the Porters a 6-1 record on the weekend for the third straight year. This brings Lockport’s team record to 10-2 on the season.
Given that there were seven duals in a two-day span, a write-up for each individual dual is impossible, and a write-up for each day is even impractical, we’re going to look at individual performances. Box scores are on the media page of twitter; access them here.You can also find the event on TrackWrestling. Direct link here.
Note, there are a handful of mistakes on both our Twitter page and on the TrackWrestling page. Apologies for the Twitter errors; Track errors are out of my hands.
Lockport 75, Fort Zumwault West 3
Lockport 58, Whitfield 17
Lockport 40, Eureka 34
Round of 16: Lockport 65, Helias 3
Quaterfinals: Lockport 45, Francis Howell Central 34
Semifinals: Lockport 38, Staley 25
Finals: Holt 38, Lockport 34
- Anthony Molton: 4-0 at 106 with four pins, totaling just over 7 minutes of mat time.
- Matt Ramos: 3-0 with two falls at 106 pounds, making the most of his varsity debut this weekend.
- Matt Kronsbein: 4-3 at 113, including one win by fall.
- Garrett Golob: 3-0 with two forfeits and a fall at 120 pounds. Also won an exhibition match via decision.
- Abdullah Assaf: 5-1 at 120/126, 5-1 at 120/126, including four victories by fall. His lone loss was via defensive fall. Assaf rebounded tremendously, however, scoring a 2-1 victory over Holt’s Sidney Oliver – who Assaf has lost to each of the past two years at this tournament. Oliver is also a 2x defending state champion in Missouri’s Class 4, the largest-school division. Assaf also defeated defending state champion Mike McAteer of Whitfield by fall in 5:34.
- Brandon Ramos: 4-2 at 126/132 over the weekend. Highlighting his victories was a 9-6 decision over Jeremy Dittler of Whitfield, the defending state champion in Missouri’s Class 1, the small school division.
- Brendan Ramsey: 4-1 between 126/132 this weekend, racking up two falls and a major decision in his victories.
- Dalton Dwyer: Went 0-2 against very tough competition at 132 and 138; most notably Kyran Hagen of Eureka, MO, the defending state champion and multiple time All-American, ranked #16 nationally by FloWrestling.
- Baylor Fernandes: Fernandes went 4-2 on the weekend, suffering his first two losses of his young high school career, both to nationally ranked opponents. Fernandes lost to Eureka’s Alec Hagen, a multiple time All-American currently ranked #16 by InterMat and last year’s state runner-up. Fernandes’s other loss came to Holt’s Colby Smith, a 2x state champion ranked #7 by InterMat and #9 by FloWrestling. Fernandes’s wins included three falls and a major decision.
- Shayne Oster: 5-1 at 145/152. Oster recorded four falls in 5:28 seconds as well as receiving a forfeit. Oster pinned returning state placer Dylan Shotwell in only 0:41! His lone loss came to freshman Griffin Mann of Staley in a 4-3 defeat, in a match featuring several questionable calls – or rather, several no-calls. It’s Oster’s first loss since January 3 of this year.
- Zach Reese: 2-2 at 145/152. Zach lost a close 2-1 decision but also had a fall in 1:31 against Staley.
- George Wolfe: 2-1 at 152, including one forfeit and a fall in 1:19. Wolfe’s lone loss was a major decision to returning 3rd place finisher Gavin Londoff.
- Mike Scurlock: 2-0 at 152/160
- Chandler Proszek: 5-1 at 160/170, including four pins and a major decision. Proszek’s four falls came in a total of 2:33!!
- Nick Dado: 2-5 at 170 pounds, including one win by major decision. Dado had rough draws, squaring off against four state-ranked opponents.
- Yousif Salah: 5-2 at 182/195, picking up three falls in his four wins.
- Austin Atwood: 3-4 at 182/195, including a win by fall in his first match of the tournament. Atwood lost by fall to top ranked and returning 2nd place finisher Zach Elam of Staley in their match.
- David Balderrama: 2-2 at 220, including a big win that stopped a three-match winning streak for Holt and starting a three match streak for the Porters.
- Dan Stojsavljevic: 1-2 at 220, losing one match to returning 4th place finisher Max Darrah.
- Ronald Tucker: 7-0 at 285; the lone Porter to pick up seven victories on the weekend, extending his record to 12-0 on the season. Tucker’s wins included four falls as well.
Photos (Click to Enlarge; use left right arrows to scroll)
A choice handful of photos from the combination of duals have been put up here. To see all of the pictures taken by Coach Sealy during the two days, please visit https://kevinsealy.smugmug.com/Lockport-Wrestling. There, pictures are available from all duals, and organized by date as well. Thanks!